Beginning of April was the time to get help from some of my friends again to remove the right wing from the Pacer. Same as last year when I did the left wing, the goal was to remove the fabric and inspect the wing in detail. Then fix anything that needs to be fixed and prime and paint all the metal fittings.
The auxiliary tank (same as on the left wing) had some surface corrosion. The fabric is lying right on top of the tank, and it looked like water got between the fabric and the tank and caused the corrosion. I did the same as I did one the left tank and applied two layers of fiber glass to the top of the tank and then epoxy primed and painted it.
Other than that, I only found some surface corrosion on some of the metal fittings. All the aluminum parts (including the spars) looked in very good conditions and only needed general cleaning.
After everything was looked over, cleaned and metal pieces and auxiliary tank reinstalled, it was time to recover the wing. I use the Stewart water-based paint system. The painting was done in my backyard in a 20’ by 10’ tent (the tent is part of our EAA Chapter's tool crib).
Next year I'm planning to restore to doors and the tail feathers. I may also do the landing gear at the same time.
The wing is off and mounted on the rotisserie (also part of our EAA Chapter's tool crib).
The fabric is off for inspection, cleaning and repairs.
Metal fitting cleaned, primed and painted.
Aluminum panel in bad shape.
Holes worn into it and cracked up.
New panel fabricated.
Ready to go onto the wing.
Fabricated and installed inspection panels.
New fabric is on.
Fabricating aileron cable fairings.
Wing is ready to start the painting process.
Topcoat is on.
Paint is done (at least on the wing).
Flap, aileron and all the metal parts are painted.
Ready to fly again!