EAA Chapter 1345 Ray Aviation Scholarship announcement.
EAA Chapter 1345 based in Bend Oregon has been granted a Ray Aviation Scholarship to award to a young potential aviator/scholar for 2023.
The EAA Ray Aviation Scholarship is a scholarship program that is funded by the Ray Foundation, managed by EAA, and administered through the EAA Chapter network. Through the generous support of the Ray Foundation, EAA provides up to $11,000 to deserving youths to help cover their flight training expenses, totaling $1,800,000 in annual scholarship funding.
Local candidates must be able to meet the following criteria:
- Minimum of age 15 for glider training
- Age 16-19 for powered flight training
- Possession of a student pilot certificate
- Possession of FAA medical certificate (private pilot students)
- Be able to begin their flight training within 60 days of receiving the award
Additional consideration will be given to candidates who are former Young Eagles, EAA student members, and actively participating in the EAA Flight Plan, specifically the Sporty’s Learn to Fly Course.
Once selected by the chapter, the candidate will also be screened by EAA through an application process. If approved by EAA, the scholarship recipient will have to comply with the following requirements:
Partake in two hours of chapter volunteer service per month, such as:
- Young Eagles rally volunteering.
- Volunteer at pancake breakfast/fly-ins
- Chapter build project support
- Chapter gathering participation
- Chapter social media and website maintenance
- Submit regular progress reports during monthly check-ins
- Reach designated flight training milestones, as outlined by EAA's training timeline
Scholars interested in flight training should contact EAA Chapter 1345 at Highdesertflyers1345@gmail.com
To formally apply for the program please submit the following via email with the subject Ray Scholar application.
- Email address
- Phone number
If the applicant is a minor, parent or legal guardian’s name, address, email, and phone.
Questions to answer:
- What Pilot certification do you desire? (glider, sport pilot, or private pilot)
- What is your experience and desires with aviation in your past, present and any plans for the future?
- If awarded the Scholarship, how do you plan to stay engaged with the chapter?
- In your own words write a 150 -200 word explanation of why you should be selected for the Ray Aviation Scholarship.
- Submit you application to the chapter by April 17th
- Chapter will notify the nominee of chapter acceptance by April 21st
- Obtain FAA 3rd class medical and student pilot license.
- Apply to EAA National via online form
- EAA notifies the scholar of final acceptance by 10th of the following month.