Founded in 1992 by the Experimental Aircraft Association in Oshkosh, Wisconsin, the Young Eagles program is dedicated to giving youth ages 8–17, an opportunity to go flying in a general aviation airplane. These flights are offered free of charge and are made possible through the generosity of EAA member volunteers.
It’s the only program of its kind, with the sole mission to introduce and inspire kids in the world of aviation. Today, the Young Eagles program has flown over 2 million kids!
Become a Young Eagle at an upcoming Flight Rally!
Get ready to have the experience of your lifetime and taste the freedom of flight that most people only dream about.
YOUR FLIGHT EXPERIENCE
The biggest question on your mind might be about the actual flight. So what should you expect?
- First of all, your pilot will explain what will happen during the flight. This might include talking about the airplane; reviewing an aeronautical chart (or map); identifying reference points during the flight; completing a careful "walk around" pre-flight inspection of the airplane and identifying the parts that control the airplane.
- Once you are ready to go flying, your pilot will help you buckle your seat belt and describe the interior of the airplane, including the instrument panel. Pretty soon, it will be time to go flying!
- Once in the air, you’ll see the earth and sky in a new and exciting way. You’ll experience the wonderful freedom of flight that many people only dream about. If you are like most Young Eagles, you’ll remember this experience for the rest of your life.
- Most Young Eagle flights last between 15 and 20 minutes. Once back on the ground, there will be additional time for you to ask questions about the flight. Ask away! Your pilot will be happy to tell you more about flying and their particular airplane.
We look forward to adding your name to the ever-growing list of EAA Young Eagles!
You also get an official Young Eagles logbook with a personal code to activate your free EAA Student Membership and Sporty's Learn to Fly Course. This course is a fantastic benefit for those kids interested in learning to fly themselves. It teaches them the information and concepts that they'll need to pass their FAA Knowledge Test. Best of all - it's FREE to Young Eagles through the generosity of Sporty's Pilot Shop!
Parents, have questions about the program?
Want to see your name in the Young Eagles Logbook?
After your flight, what comes next?
- Young Eagles Flight - Your gateway to a life-long aviation adventure!
- EAA Student Membership - Free with your logbook
- Sporty’s Complete Flight Training Course - Also free with your logbook
- Your First Flight Lesson - Complete the Sporty's course and you'll get an hour of flight training on us!
- Flight Training Scholarships - Over 100 scholarships per year to pay for your flight training