Name: Jim Sorbie
City: Traverse City
Founded in 1992, the Young Eagles program is dedicated to giving youth ages 8–17, an opportunity to go flying in a general aviation airplane. These flights are offered free of charge and are made possible through the generosity of EAA member volunteers.
It’s the only program of its kind, with the sole mission to introduce and inspire kids in the world of aviation.
Today, the Young Eagles program has flown over 2 million young people.
Chapter 234 offers three activities for youth based on the Young Eagles program:
- Young Eagles Flights - This past year we offered a full Young Eagles Introductory Flight Program starting with our first Young Eagles flight in May at Cherry Capital Airport followed by Young Eagles flights in Empire (Y87), then again at Cherry Capitol Airport and in CAdilac in August. This season we flew over 300 local youngsters, some for their very first ride in a general aviation airplane. We will resume Young Eagles introductory flights in the spring of 2023.
- Young Eagles Club - In addition to the Young Eagles Flights, Chapter 234 holds monthly Young Eagles Club meetings. these are intended for those who are interested in learning more about aviation and related STEM activities that will enhance their knowledge of the principles of flight, navigation, aircraft and airport terminology, airspace and traffic control. These activites will include hands on lessons such as aircraft and component build activities, visits to local aviation facilities and specific Young Eagles Flights. To supplement these sessions, we have available a number of flight simulators to help give students a realistic feel for flying.
- Our next session will be February 18th from 12:30 - 4:00PM at the Legacy Aviation Building at 2640 Aero Park Drive. We're planning on hold a monthly session at this same time on the 3rd Saturday of each month. The activity for February and March will be to build six radio-controlled model airplanes that we will then learn to fly throughout the summer.
- To sign up for the session on February 18th and subsequent sessions, please register here: Young Eagles Day - Registration System
- Please feel free to contact our Young Eagles Coordinator at the number below for information regarding any or all of these programs.
- For more information about benefits and follow programs for Young Eagles, please see the EAA Young Eagle Flight Plan at EAA Young Eagles Flight Plan | EAA
- If you'd like to be kept informed by email of future events, please SIGN Up Here for our Chapter mailing list to get the latest news!
- For more information from EAA headquarters about the Young Eagles program, visit www.youngeagles.org
- For more information about learning to fly go here: Homepage - Student Pilot News
- For more information about Civil Air Patrols and Young Eagles go here: CAP Cadets & Young Eagles