Young Eagles Program
Young Eagles was launched in 1992 by the Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA) and has dedicated to giving youth ages 8–17 their first free ride in an airplane. It’s the only program of its kind, with it's sole mission is to introduce and inspire kids in the world of aviation. Today, the Young Eagles program has flown over 2 million kids. If you have a child that is interested in aviation and a free airplane ride, fill out a YE Interest Response and we'll put you on the list and let you know when we have an upcoming rally or feel free to contact the Young Eagles Coordinator directly.
Young Eagles Rallies - in the NC Triangle Region
EAA Chapter 1114 has been flying kids for over 25 years and was honored by the national EAA leadership as one of the top 25 Chapters for Young Eagles flights. With over 17,000 kids flown, Chapter 1114 is ranked the number two chapter in the world!
Rick Mestler is the Young Eagles Coordinator for EAA Chapter 1114. Please contact him for rally and volunteer information and any questions at YoungEagles@eaa1114.org
All rallies are held in airports around the Raleigh, NC area. Pre-rally registration is highly recommended, but not required. As rallies are added, they will show up at the bottom of this page where you can click the link to register. There is no limit to the number of rallies in which a youth may participate. Please NOTE: A parent or legal guardian MUST accompany their child to the rally and sign a form giving permission for the flight.
Rallies are influenced by weather, pilot/aircraft availability and public health issues. Every effort is made to make a timely decision to change a rally date and notify all registered families and volunteers.
For Parents, if you have a child that is interested in aviation and a free airplane ride, fill out a YE Interest Response and you will be put in our Young Eagles database and will be contacted when rallies and events are planned. Many of your questions can be answered by reading through this link, Information for Parents.
For You who would like to Volunteer and get involved with this very worthwhile activity, Thank You. It takes a number of Pilots and Ground Support personnel to safely staff a rally. Rally volunteer information can be found on www.EAA.org or www.EAA1114.org. For local and specific volunteer information and needs, please contact the Young Eagles Coordinator.
For Pilots who want to be a Young Eagles pilot in a rally or to provide separate Young Eagles Flights, see the EAA Requirements for a Young Eagles Pilots.
Contact the Young Eagles Coordinator for specific information and instructions for Young Eagles involvement.
Chapter 1114 Rallies for 2021
It has been an interesting and challenging year to plan and hold Young Eagles rallies.
January, 2021 started with Covid-19 alive, vicious and hungry but by May, the vaccines were available and infection cases decreased to a point where rally planning was started. On June 15, the rallies at two airports were announced,
- Henderson-Oxford (KHNZ) - August 14 with a rain date of September 25
- Danville Regional (KDAN) - September 11 with a rain date of October 30
A resurgence of Covid-19/Delta variant had had a great impacted in the rally schedule.
- August 14 & September 25 Rally at Henderson-Oxford Airport (KHNZ). The August 14th rally was rescheduled to September 25th and subsequently cancelled. Increasing Covid-19/Delta variant cases and high heat indexes created conditions that compromised the safety and health of all rally participants.
- September 11 Rally at Danville Regional Airport (KDAN). The rally was rescheduled to October 30 due to an accelerating Covid-19/Delta variant cases and a low area vaccination numbers. This combination created an unfavorable condition and a high risk to all rally participants.
- October 30 at Danville Regional Airport (KDAN). A lower Covid-19 / Delta variant cases and greater area vaccination rate will improve the chances this rally will be held.
Other local EAA chapters may have Young Eagles rallies scheduled.
You can click here to view the Current National List of Planned Young Eagles events to see if there are any upcoming events near you.
Please contact me with any questions,
EAA 1114 Young Eagles Coordinator